|The building that houses the Ribeira Sacra Wine Centre has been used for many, very different functions throughout the years. Built in 1752 it was donated to the Orden de San Juan de Dios who used it as a hospital. In the second half of the 19th century it was a casino and in the 1930s it became Monforte’s Town Hall.
The building has undergone several major renovations and changes - the main facade was re designed in the middle of the 19th century - but it has always had an opening central square on the ground floor and a gallery on the first, as can still be seen today.
April 04 2009 saw the start of the latest re incarnation with the opening of the Ribeira Sacra Wine Centre. Besides the space dedicated to the exhibition there is the Wine Centre Shop (with the largest range of Ribeira Sacra wines to be found in the world, as well as glasses, decanters gifts and books)(temporaly closed), the offices of the Regulating Council, a tasting room, a room for the Wine Club and a bar/cafe/Taparia.